Monday, March 19, 2012

Chipotle Pork


Sunday's used to be my day of rest, than I became a mom; now Sundays are "Day of Roasts." I used to cringe and run from any spicy or hot recipe and now spices entice me. Franks Red Hot is right up there with ketchup in my list of favorite dips. This was another change that came with pregnancy, I now love spicy foods and can handle a lot of heat.

In my new Cooking Light magazine I spotted this recipe, slow braised pork in spicy sauce. The recommendation was to serve it over rice with a green salad but the smoky smell from the chipolte peppers made me crave a burrito. Beans, corn tortilla, cheese, sour cream, pork...yum. I can just see the editor of Cooking Light shaking a skinny finger at me right now.

This is how it goes.

Chop all your onion.

Add onions, garlic, peppers, cumin, cinnamon, oil, honey, and peppers into food processor. Pulse until blended.



Peel and section your limes, use a knife to peel the lime, makes it much easier on the finger nails. Add to food processor with 1 tbsp of oil and pulse until blended.



All blended and ready to go. Place your pork in a the marinade and refrigerate for
1 hour.

Heat up your oil in a dutch oven. When the oil is hot add the pork and brown on all sides. Set on a separate plate. De glaze the pot with chicken broth scraping up all the brown bits. Next time I do this I think I am going to use light beer for this part.
Add your marinade into the sauce and boil a couple of minutes. Return the pork into the pot, cover, and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.


The pork will shred with a fork when it is done. At this point you can make the decision to return the shredded pork to the sauce or drizzle a little sauce over the pork. I chose just to drizzle with sauce because we were using it in a burrito. If I was to serve it over rice I think I would of liked it a little more saucy.

Here is the recipe if you are in the mood for some saucy and spicy pork.


Chipotle Pork
From: Cooking Light, April 2012
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 /12 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 9 large garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 chipotle chilies, canned in adobo sauce
  • 1 lime
  • 2 tbsp olive oil divided
  • 1 (1 1/4 lb) boneless pork shoulder (I used pork loin roast)
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth

  • Add first 6 ingredients into your food processor and pulse.
  • Peel and section your lime, add to food processor with 1 tbsp oil and pulse
  • Place marinade in zip loc, add pork and marinate for 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  • Heat Dutch oven and add 1 tbsp oil.
  • Remove pork from the zip loc and sprinkle with salt (I forgot to do this)
  • Add pork to pot and brown on all sides. Remove pork after browned.
  • De glaze pot with brown, scraping up all the browned bits
  • Return to pork to pot and place in the oven, covered, for 2 1/2 hours.
  • Shred pork, toss with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment