Monday, February 13, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan Soup


I found this recipe in my search the other night. It slapped me across the face and said "Make me!" I ignored it for a couple of days, pushing it back in my brain as I thought about my mushroom burger or the tuna tacos I devoured the other day at Joeys during a seminar. When I went to the market on the weekend the eggplants called me over.
Nice shiny skins, no blemishes, great color, and on SALE! That's all I needed for a push. I grabbed my new purple veggie, collected the rest of the ingredients (already had the list on hand just in case), and off I went. On my walk home from the market I thought "do I even like eggplant?"

Turns out I do! I loved this soup. I have never eaten Eggplant Parmesan in my life. I didn't even know what the inside of a eggplant looked like. Do I peel them? Should I roast or saute? Is it bitter or sweet? Is there a core, seeds? Thank goodness for "the Google." Hehe.

I didn't get too adventurous with this recipe and glad I didn't. It was delicious. It was so good I had two bowls and after the second I was using my finger to get every last bit out of the bowl. T was on the couch next to me and I was so into my soup I didn't see him staring in disgust at my childish eating habits.

You got to make this soup, just make sure you wash your hands before you eat :)

Enjoy!


Eggplant Parmesan Soup
Adapted from: Ashbury's Aubergines

  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium eggplant, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
  • 3 cups crushed tomatoes with puree
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3 cups toasted/stale italian or french bread, cubed

Yes that is a eggplant colored Dutch oven, I got to keep it matching

  • Peel and chop your eggplant and onion. Chop your red pepper
  • Heat the olive oil in your pot. When the oil is hot toss in your veggies in

  • Cook veggies for about 2 minutes or until you have stopped crying over the onions. Toss in your oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic, stir.
  • Once the veggies are looking soft and sauteed add in your tomato puree and water
  • Let simmer for 45-50 minutes uncovered on the stove
While you wait you can reheat your coffee (I was making this soup in the morning), do the dishes, listen to the latest Madonna song, or sit on the computer waiting for Madonna tickets to go on sale only to find out they were sold out :(. Still a little bitter over here. You can also grate your cheese

Now the simmering is over, it's time for the parmesan, bread, and balasmic vinegar

My favorite part
  • Add in the three ingredients and stir, let the bread soak up for about 10 minutes on the stove.
  • Keep the pot simmering as you stir in the bread, vinegar, and cheese
  • Grab your bowl and spoon, your done.
I chose to puree my soup with my stick blender but you can serve it anyway you like it.






No comments:

Post a Comment